The Red Wing Pottery Museum was first opened in 2001 on the second floor of the former Minnesota Stoneware Company building where crocks, jugs, churns and many other stoneware items were made from 1883 until the 1930s. The 3000 square foot museum space held approximately 1200 items which were either on loan or donated.
The need for more display space and a more visible location led to a new location for the Museum. The Museum increased in size to more than 13,000 square feet. The Schleich family donated their entire Schleich Red Wing Pottery Museum, once located in Lincoln, Nebraska, to be added to the museum. More than 10,000 hours of volunteer labor were spent preparing the space and moving the pottery and artifacts to the location, and the new Pottery Museum of Red Wing held its grand opening July 9, 2014.